Saturday 9 March 2013

Flapjack (serves 12-18, preparation time: 10 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes)


I am dangerously addicted to these. As soon as the smell wafts out of the oven, I'm slain.

100g wholemeal flour
150g whole porridge oats
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

100ml olive oil
50ml agave nectar
4 tbspn milk
1 large carrot, grated
55g sultanas
40g flaked, toasted almonds


Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - flour, oats, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda. 

Then add the wet ingredients - olive oil, agave nectar and milk. Stir.

Finally, add the juicy bits - carrot, sultanas and almonds.

Mix it together so the ingredients are relatively evenly distributed.

Spread  the mixture in cookie-sized blobs onto a greased baking tray - I like to spread it as thinly as i can so that the edges bake nice and crispy. If you prefer a chewy flapjack, then spread the mixture thicker.  

I usually bake 1/3 of the mixture and freeze 2 additional batches because once I start eating, I can't stop.

Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the top starts to look darker brown and crispy around the edges.

I've moved on from one large flapjack (as shown here) to making lots of small ones instead. This is because the darker brown edges are the best bit and I get more edges with small flapjacks.



No comments:

Post a Comment