Saturday 30 March 2013

A word about porridge

I eat porridge for breakfast virtually every day. And have done for 10 years, without getting bored!

I use whole oats (Jordan's chunky organic oats to be precise). I soak them overnight - i.e. add some water to 50g of oats and store in a tupperware pot in the fridge overnight. The next morning, I add a bit more water to the soaked oats and heat either in a pan at home or in the microwave at work.  To serve, I add a tablespoon of milk.

Work colleagues often exclaim as to how I can eat porridge without milk or sugar.

Last week I ran out of oats. I borrowed some oats from a friend. They were not whole oats. And they were disgusting. Really.  No wonder people need to add milk and sugar.

Whole oats, pre-soaked makes the end result creamy and tasty without having to resort to milk and sugar.

It was a revelation for me and one that may prove helpful to others trying to avoid dairy and sugar.

Other tips include:
Add 10 blueberries to the top.
Add sliced apple and flaked toasted almonds. Perhaps a few raisins and a teaspoon of cinnamon too.
Add a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment