Saturday 11 May 2013

Salad Days

I have recently become a bit addicted to salad. That sounds really boring and scarcely worth blogging about, but I'm loving it!

Salad fulfils the criteria of my diet: fresh ingredients, unprocessed, largely vegetarian, low GI. It's also quick, satisfying, varied, healthy and delicious.

I think the secret is having good balsamic and olive oil. I recently invested in really nice bottles of each and it makes a huge difference.

My favourite salad is really quite basic:

BASE
baby salad leaves
pitted green olives, halved
cucumber, sliced
grated carrot
diced red pepper
baby plum tomatoes

PROTEIN - choose from
fried halloumi
prawns
fish fillet (e.g. sea bass, mackerel or salmon)

DRESSING
balsamic and olive oil

OPTIONAL EXTRAS
toasted almonds
toasted cashews
fresh mint leaves
fresh coriander leaves


Today I was really late for a hair appointment and I threw the basic ingredients into a large tupperware pot (bar the carrot - there was no time!) along with a handful of fresh king prawns, grabbed a fork and trotted off. I ate it on the train and it was delicious - and so fast.

yay for salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment