Tuesday 21 May 2013

energy snack - potentially a bit naughty

Whilst on a yoga retreat in the French Alps recently, my lovely friend Sam accidentally invented the nicest snack ever. I have adapted it slightly here:


60g dried figs, cut into small pieces
150g slowly toasted whole almonds
150g slowly toasted whole cashews
1 tablespoon golden linseeds. 

Put all of the ingredients into a tupperware pot and shake it up. Take it everywhere you go for a filling and tasty snack.

The genius accidental discovery that Sam made in France was the combination of dried figs combined with linseeds. The linseeds adhere to the sticky interior of the figs and it tastes divine. 

As always, my number one tip for nuts is to put them in a dry frying pan on a really low heat for a good hour and let them slowly, slowly, slowly toast. It transforms a boring old nut into a  gastronomic delicacy.

I am eating barrelfuls of this mixture right now. I think it has superseded my love of flapjack. just. 

And why is it naughty? Because dried fruit is about 70% sugar. But the linseeds are very high in fibre and nuts are so healthy (especially almonds) that it's better than a million other snacks in the world. This is, after all, how I dare to live :)



No comments:

Post a Comment